Friday, March 28, 2014

Hitting the Ground Running

To say that San Francisco hit us like a blizzard in March (which actually happens back home) is an understatement. Though the term "culture shock" crosses my mind, it's been a good kind of shock- eye opening and exciting in every way. Starting the day off with words of wisdom from San Francisco State's Dr. Brandes was definitely a highlight, and I think I speak for each of us seniors who are planning to pursue music next year that she had some very reassuring things to say about the music world and having the courage to do what you love. No matter how much a musician loves his or her craft, there is always that lingering doubt that passion might not be enough; however, Dr. Brandes said that no matter what field you enter, there is always a chance that it won't work out. What really matters is that you put your whole self into your work, because if you really love it, that will be enough. To hear this from someone so seasoned re inspired my confidence that music is what I love, and music is what I will always do in some form. The clinic was a truley memorable experience, and I can't wait to see what the rest of the trip has in store.

Annie Ketchmark